Best Time Tracking Apps for Freelancers and Teams
2020 has forever changed the job market. Once work-from-home (WFH) was the realm of freelancers and digital nomads, however, with so many of us under stay-at-home mandates the workforce has had to pivot in order to remain productive. But how do we track productivity now? Are we really working at our optimum without the routine of office life? Do we still understand capacity, client value and workflow? There is an elegant solution to staying on top of your workday – time tracking software.
Freelance time management apps can take your business to the next level by accurately capturing your work hours, encouraging motivation/discipline, centralising billable and non-billable hours, simplifying online invoicing or payroll requirements, providing detailed analytics/reporting and importantly, project management systems to assign tasks, set deadlines and enhance productivity. Where do I sign?
Clock some of the best time tracking software available.
With over 5 million users, Toggl Track’s success has much to do with it’s clean design and intuitive UI. Specialising in effortless time tracking and reporting, Toggl Track data offers clarity around profit margins, insight into time spent and convenient multi-platform sync up between phone, tablet, desktop etc. It’s ease of use will enhance understanding into how profitable your freelance or team projects are.
- Time Tracking Across All Devices
- Pomodoro Timer, Idle Detection and Tracking Reminders
- Summary, Detailed and Weekly Reports with PDF and CSV Exports
- Schedule Reports to Email
- Time Audits
- Project Templates
- Integrates with 100+ Apps Including Asana, Bitbucket, Basecamp, Xero
- Free: up to 5 users
- Starter: $9 user/month
- Premium: $18 user/month
- Enterprise: Custom with unlimited users
Harvest time tracking software answers the most fundamental business questions: Where am I spending my time? What’s the true cost of a project? Am I making a profit? Make project management simple by tracking data to predict when a task will be delivered, how much it will cost and whether it’s time efficient. Then easily translate that information into professional invoices and email them to clients, expediting payment turnaround. Harvest analyses time tracking and provides key answers to run your business more effectively.
- Estimate Project Timelines and Budget
- Track Time to Specific Clients or Projects
- Identify Employee Burnout
- Automatic Invoice Generation from Time Tracking
- Forecast Future Schedules
- Integrations include Asana, Basecamp, Trello, Quickbooks, PayPal
- 30-Day Free Trial
- Free Plan: for individuals, limited to 1 seat and 2 active projects.
- One Plan: $12 USD user/month
Tick believes time is inventory, so if you lose track of your stock, you lose money. Time versus Budget is their focus, enabling you to shift more inventory resulting in more profits. With real-time budget tracking, Tick updates your project budgets with each time submission allowing you to stay on top of costs and resources. Detailed reporting provides both you and your client insight into projects. Continuous feedback facilitates time management for freelancers or team environments. Tick puts the management in time management software.
- Access via iOS, Android, Apple Watch, Desktop
- Run More Successful Projects with Granular Reporting
- In-App Timers Keep You Task Oriented
- Instant Feedback from Timecard
- Enter Time From Anywhere
Integrates with 750+ apps Including Asana, Basecamp, QuickBooks, Trello
- Free: 1 project
- 10 Projects: $19 per/month
- 30 Projects: $49 per/month
- 60 Projects: $79 per/month
- Unlimited Projects: $149 per/month
TimeCamp’s focus is team management without micromanagement. Considering the shift towards remote working TimeCamp’s time tracker works for attendance reporting, resource management as well as identifying the use of all apps used by your team. It keeps track of budgets, measures profitability of projects and turns data into precise client invoices minimising disputes and maximising payments. TimeCamp is one app with many features.
- Automatic Domain Names Scans
- Identifies Percentage of Time Spent on Work-Related Apps
- Measures Project Profitability
- Budget Tracker
- Billing Feature Distinguishes Between Billable and Non-Billable
- Simple Integration with 100+ Apps: Slack, Trello, Asana, Jira, Todoist
- Solo: Free
- Basic: $5.25 user/month
- Pro: $7.50 user/month
- Enterprise: Custom pricing
This time tracker software is a simple solution for tracking freelance work hours, generating reports and billing clients. Track work in real-time or add time logs manually to iPhone, Android or web timekeeper apps with a single click so at the end of the day you know exactly how you or your team spent their time and the clients money. Detailed and accurate time logs are easy to categorise, interpret and learn from. Leadership decisions benefit from My Hours with accurate time tracking data informing decisions about how to budget, assign work and invoice customers.
- Create Projects, Assign Tasks and Set Budgets
- Simple Clock In/Clock Out with Mobile Apps
- Apply Employee Hourly Rates
- Approve Timesheets
- Manage Employee Unplanned Absence
- Download reports in PDF, Excel or CSV format
- Personalise Invoices
- Project Templates
- 30-Day Free Trial
- Free Plan: for new freelancers or teams
- Pro: $6 user/month
Time is money, therefore Time Doctor’s reports diagnose and treat time-wasting habits to increase productivity. Clearly establish productivity throughout the day by monitoring web and app usage when clocked on. A screenshot feature can be enabled or disabled for each user when in work mode and can be deleted to maintain privacy. Receive alerts if the computer sits idle for too long during assigned hours. Time Doctor also creates daily and weekly summary reports making it easy to analyse patterns of time spent on each project, client and task. Discover more time with Time Doctor.
- Employee Monitoring with Distraction Alerts to Remain Focused
- Summary Reports of Time Spent on Projects, Client and Task
- Fully Customisable Payroll Supporting All Currencies
- Intuitive Project Management
- Time Sheet Review and Approval
- Screenshots and Mouse/Keyboard Activity
- Integrates with 60 Apps Including API, Jira, Monday, Salesforce, Slack, Zoho
- Free Trial
- Basic: $7 user/month
- Standard: $10 user/month
- Premium: $20 user/month
- Time Doctor: Smart
ActiTIME caters to freelancers looking for time tracking software within the Engineering, Design, Consulting, IT and Healthcare industries, however if you are looking to save hours, this freelance time management app will streamline timekeeping, task management, payroll and billing processes. You already have the data, so all you need to do is to create a new report or run one from their saved templates. With a simple and stylish UI, creating workflow, running reports or comparing estimates becomes manageable. Keep track of your business with the data you already possess.
- Monitor and Manage Time Effortlessly
- Analyse Performance In-Depth
- Organise Workloads In Line with Business Goals
- Calculate Costs Based on Employee Rates
- Prepare Payroll or Apply for R&D Tax Credit
- Customise Reports and View as Charts, HTML Spreadsheets or CSV files
- Integrates with Jira, GitHub, GitLab and Google Apps
- 1-3 users: Free
- 1-40 users: $6 user/month
- 41-200 users: $5 user/month
- 200+ users: Fixed cost, unlimited users
Chrometa caters to lawyers, accountants, architects and freelancers with a focus on maximising productivity and minimising administration costs. Automatically track time on to-do lists and tasks or manually complete timesheets inside the dashboard with just a few clicks. Get paid for every minute with no more inaccuracy or underbilling – whether emails, phone calls, meetings or documentation. Chrometa excels in performance metrics to refine budget and billing goals for your practice and your clients.
- Automatic Time Tracking on Any Device
- Accurate Granular Billing
- Integrate and Export Data
- Monthly Product Updates as Teams Update Features
50+ Integrations Featuring Clio, PracticePanther, Cosmolex, Rocket Matter, Wave
- First 30-Days Free
- Standard: $19 user/month
- Plus: $29 user/month
- Premium: $49 user/month
Time tracking is an insightful practice that can identify the difference between a day well spent or a day poorly managed, especially now that much of the workforce is remote. If productivity and profitability are priorities within your business, time tracking software will definitely up your game and identify shortfalls. The apps are designed to integrate with most platforms and with several offering 30-Day free trials it would be prudent to take them for a test drive. If there was ever a need for freelancers to work smarter, not harder, the time is now. Get tracking!